This December, David Cross is cashing another paycheck!
That’s right, the third Alvin and the Chipmunks movie hits theaters December 16. And the name — following up on Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, which has replaced Electric Boogaloo as the go-to sequel name joke of choice among discerning film-goers everywhere — the name of this trilogy completer is…
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked.
While I think we can all agree that it’s cruel for Fox and Regency to hold Chip-Wrecked until December in a naked bid to drum up some Oscar support (Justin Long for Best Supporting Actor? The campaign begins here.), at least we’ll all have a merry Christmas thanks to those delightful little scoundrels. Does it ever get old when Jason Lee goes “AAALLLLLVIIIINNNN!!!!!”? No, it does not.
But did the studios and filmmakers do this movie justice with the name? I mean, obviously The Squeakquel is going to be a tough name to live up to no matter what. And don’t get me wrong: Chip-Wrecked is a great and hilarious name, and it seems to tie in nicely with the nautical motif that director Mike Mitchell has subtly incorporated into the film’s subtext.
It’s just that there are so many wonderful chipmunk-themed puns. God willing, there will be a lot more Alvin and the Chipmunk movies in our collective future*. If so, might I offer a few humble suggestions for future sequel titles?
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Munk-ey See, Munk-ey Do
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Do You Love Your Munk-ey or Do You Love Me?
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: CHIPs (ft. Erik Estrada)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Five Points of Alvinism
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Birth of a Hibernation
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Simon-ized!
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Fish n’ Chips
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Gregorian Munk Chants
These guys know what I’m talking about:
* The average lifespan for chipmunks is 2-3 years. How are Alvin, Simon & Theodore still rolling? I’m worried about them.